Dar es Salaam, Tanzania – Things to do and Places to Visit
With vast national parks, glorious beaches and the Swahili culture, Dar es Salaam is a city that you should visit. Tanzanian citizens are known to be very welcoming and at the same time very polite to new people. To experience what Africa has to offer, you need to visit Dar es Salaam.
Dar es Salaam is located along the eastern Indian Ocean coast of Africa. Tanzania borders Uganda and Kenya to the north, Mozambique, Zambia, and Malawi to the south.
Best time to go
Since Tanzania is located near the equator, you can always visit this country at any time of the year. If you want to see the wildlife, you can visit anytime from June to October which is the dry season.
Dar es Salaam is the largest city in East Africa. It is also the wealthiest city in East Africa.
- Tanzania has English and Swahili as their official languages.
- The dressing in Tanzania is quite conservative. You need to dress decently which means you need to wear unrevealing clothes.
- Tanzanian shilling is the official currency although other currencies such as the Euro and dollars are welcome.
- Public transport is not ideal for tourists. You will need to use taxis or a rental car.
What to do
- Coco Beach which is also known as the Oyster Bay is an ideal place that you should visit. Occasionally, you will find live music festivals and beach parties.
- The Askari Monument which was unveiled in 1927 is a historical reminder that honors those who fought during the first world war. This is an ideal place to check out while in Dar es Salaam.
- The National Museum is an excellent place for you to visit to learn more about the Tanzanian culture.
- The village museum showcases different types of traditional huts. Visit this place and learn about traditional lifestyles of Tanzanians.
- Kivukoni Fish Market will offer you an excellent opportunity for you to see Tanzanian business cultures.
Where to Eat
- Among the top restaurants in Africa is the 305 Karafuu located in Dar es Salaam. The food served here is international, but they also serve Tanzanian dishes.
- Mediterraneo is a restaurant which allows you to eat while facing the Indian Ocean. Lobster is a key dish that you can enjoy in the restaurant.
- To enjoy grilled meat, the place you should visit is Mamboz Corner BBQ. This is a unique place in which you can enjoy Tanzanian street food.
Where to Shop
- The best market to shop from is the Kariakoo market. This place has a collection of stalls, shops which sell everything. You can purchase anything from groceries to electronics.
- Mlimani Shopping Center is the most prominent shopping center found in Tanzania. It is located in the Northwest of Dar es Salaam.
- If you love traditional carving and handicrafts, you can get these from Mwenge Craft Market.
If You Have Time
- You can use a boat ride to visit the islands of Mbudya, Sinda, and Bongoyo.
- Visit Kunduchi Wet and Wild Water Park which has the most colorful mix of pools, fast-food restaurants, and playgrounds.
- You can visit the Nyerere Cultural Center for you to browse local arts and crafts.