Beijing, China Travel Guide – Places and things to do.
Beijing is the capital city of China. It is the second most populous city in the world. Talk of a massive historical city typified by amazing modern infrastructures; a town with lots of exciting cultural, political, educational, technological features; a city of economic power; Beijing really stands tall amidst other cities of the world. It is a city you can look forward to visiting someday with lots of excitement.
Beijing is located in the northern part of China. The northeast, north, and west of Beijing are surrounded by mountains. The mountainous parts of Beijing alone accounts for about 60 percent of the total region. Tianjin municipality is to the northeast of Beijing, while the Hebel province surrounds Beijing municipality.
Best Time to go:
- The summer between June and August is not the best time to visit Beijing. It is usually hot and sweaty at this period of the year.
- September to October is the best time to visit Beijing, all thanks to the pleasing and cool autumn season.
- Spring is another season which is moderately warm, but it’s usually windy at this period of the year (April to May).
- The most popular surname in the city of Beijing is Wang
- Bei means north and Jing means capital.
- Mandarin Chinese is the official language spoken in Beijing.
- Renminbi (RMB) is the official language of the people of Beijing
- Beijing capital international airport is the busiest airport in the world.
- Five rivers flow across Beijing city.
- The international dialing code of Beijing is +86
What to do:
- The Great Wall is a historic place you can pay a visit to Beijing.
- Another exciting place to visit is the Beijing zoo.
- The Pekin Man site located at Zhoukoudian is another historical place you can visit during your stay in Beijing.
- Shihua cave is beautiful to experience as a tourist to Beijing.
- The Forbidden City, also known as the Imperial city, is one of the most popular places where people visit when they come to Beijing.
- The Temple of the sun known as the Ritan in Chinese is another excellent historical destination to pay a visit.
Where to eat:
- The imperial court food gives you varieties of local food to eat from.
- Western restaurants such as KFC, American deli, A and W can be found in Beijing.
Where to Shop:
- Tiananmen square has enough shops and stores where you can shop for just anything you want.
- One of the most popular shopping malls you can visit is the Guoman and Yansha shopping malls.
If you have time:
- The Birds Nest – the National Stadium in Beijing is a place you shouldn’t miss.
- The Tian’anmen, the trademark structure of the people of Beijing and China is a great place to visit if you have time.