Baku, A Guide to traveling to Azerbaijan- Things to do and Places to Visit
Azerbaijan lies in the center of three continents. These contents are Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. This makes it a broad mix of different cultures. For you to experience this mix of cultures as well as the great sights that Azerbaijan has to offer, you need to visit Baku.
Azerbaijan is located in the south of Caucasus Mountains, it borders the Caspian Sea to the east, Russian and Georgia to the north, Iran to the south, and Armenia to the west.
Best Time to Go
To avoid the hot summers and the cold winters, the ideal time for you to visit Baku is Between April and June and then Between September and October.
Baku is located 92 feet below the sea level. This makes Baku the lowest lying national capital city in the whole world. It is the biggest city in the world which is located below sea level.
- Azerbaijani is the official language in Baku. English and Russian are also popular languages in Azerbaijan.
- The official currency used in Azerbaijan is the Azerbaijani manat. Other currencies such as US dollar and Euros are also welcome in this country.
- In Baku, it is easy to get public transport. Transport is very cheap in this country. Taxis and Rentals are also very inexpensive as compared to other countries.
- The people in Baku are conservative regarding their dressing. This means that when you are going to this city, you will need to dress decently.
What to do
- The Flame Towers are worth a visit when you are in Baku. These iconic structures are identical in appearance and in size. Going up these towers will give you an experience that you will never forget.
- Maiden Tower which was built in the 12th century houses a museum that contains local history in it. To learn more about Baku, you will have to visit this stone tower which is 30 meters high.
- The Palace of the Shirvanshas which was built in the 15th century is another site that you have to see. UNESCO described this palace as “one of the pearls of Azerbaijan’s architecture.
- To learn about the Hindu and Zoroastrian religion, you will need to visit Ateshgah of Baku.
Where to Eat
- Merci Baku – this is a place where they will serve you with European dishes and Azeri. These you will get to eat in a pretty setting that will make sure that you enjoy your meal completely.
- If you are a sushi lover, Zakura is just the place that you should eat. This is located a few minutes’ walk from Fountain Square.
- If you enjoy dining while listening to music, Avaz Dining & Lounge is just the place for you. This club-restaurant enhances your eating experience by providing you with live music from Jazz bands. Authentic Azeri dishes are served here.
Where to shop
- Metropark – You can shop for clothing, cosmetics, electronics, and even accessories in this place. If you have a car you don’t have to worry, their parking space can easily fit more than 350 vehicles.
- Port Baku Mall – This mall has more than 300 outfit brands, cosmetics, electronics and more.
- Sadarak Shopping Center – You can easily get anything from this shopping center. You can shop for clothing, electronics, accessories, and all types of houseware from this shopping mall.
If you have Time
- Visit Gabala which is only 217 Kilometers away from Baku. This is a place that every nature lover should visit.
- Another place that you should not leave Baku before seeing is the palace of Shaki Khans which is only 300 kilometers from Baku. This is a place for nature lovers and those who enjoy looking at impressive architecture.
- A great number of Azerbaijan’s historical sites are located in Quba which is only 170 kilometers from Baku.